Looking for a flavor-packed side dish that’s as easy to make as it is delicious? Look no further than this creamy chipotle coleslaw.
With just a handful of simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep, you’ll have a vibrant and spicy coleslaw that’s the perfect side dish for grilled meats, backyard parties, or even as a quick side for busy weekdays.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Chipotle Coleslaw Ingredients
Ingredient Substitutions and Variations
- Chipotle Mayo. If you cannot find chipotle mayonnaise, look for a spicy mayo. You could also make your own by mixing your favorite hot sauce with mayo (start with a little hot sauce and work your way up) or by blending mayo with canned chipotle peppers in adobo (start with half a pepper and taste as you go).
- White Vinegar. You could swap this for apple cider vinegar if you prefer.
- Honey. Use any sweetener you like: sugar or maple syrup are other options.
- Cilantro. If you don’t like cilantro, you can leave it out.
How to make the slaw less creamy.
If you prefer a lighter or less creamy coleslaw, you can reduce the amount of mayonnaise. This will make it less spicy and change up the recipe a bit.
Start with a smaller amount of mayo and gradually add more until you achieve your desired consistency.
You can also add extra vinegar and honey/sugar to help balance it all out.
How to Make Slaw Vegan
If you are vegan, simply use a vegan approved spicy mayo or make your own with your vegan mayo as a base and add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (a little at a time).
FAQs about Chipotle Slaw
What Goes with Coleslaw?
Here are some great main dishes to serve coleslaw with. Whether you’re using it as a side salad, bringing it to a potluck or bbq, or topping your sandwiches – spicy coleslaw is versatile.
Busy Day Dinners Recipes to Serve with Coleslaw
This spicy coleslaw recipe would be delicious with the following recipes:
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Easy Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Oven-Baked Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Juicy Lucy Burgers
- Coconut Lime Chicken Skewers
Get 5 Days of Easy Dinners sent to your inbox
Creamy Chipotle Coleslaw
- In a large bowl, whisk together the spicy mayo, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Taste the dress and adjust to your tastes. I personally like a sharp slaw, but you can add more honey or sugar if needed.
- Once the dressing is smooth add in the bagged cabbage and toss it until evenly coated.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve.