If you want something different to serve at your holiday dinner, try this sweet and savory pineapple stuffing recipe. It’s a delicious twist on your classic baked stuffing that is delicious with turkey, ham, or chicken.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet and Savory Pineapple Stuffing
Personally, I don’t care for overly sweet meals at the dinner table. We don’t want a pineapple bread pudding as a side dish.
So I created a bread dressing combining the sweet flavors of pineapple and brown sugar with savory aromatics like onions, celery, sage, etc.
This fluffy bread side dish pairs well with ham, sausages, pork, and turkey
It’s the perfect blend of savory and sweet, rich, buttery, and the perfect addition to your holiday meal or special family dinner.
Garnishes: canned pineapple rings, brown sugar, cinnamon, and parsley.
Ingredient Substitutions and Recipe Variations
- You can use unsalted butter instead of salted if you want, simply add a little extra salt to the seasoning.
- You can use fresh sage, just double it to two tablespoons (and pack the leaves in tight).
- If you don’t have sourdough bread, you can use brioche or whatever you have on hand.
Before you get started on making your delicious pineapple stuffing, let’s make sure you have all the necessary cooking tools on hand. This will make the preparation process smoother and save you time in the kitchen. Here’s what you will need:
- Large mixing bowl: A roomy mixing bowl allows you to easily combine the ingredients without it flying all over the counter.
- Baking dish: A 13×9 inch baking dish is perfect. I used my extra large IKEA 15×10 baking dish.
- Nonstick Frying Pan: A pan will cook evenly and the nonstick helps save a little extra elbow grease and time when it comes to cleanup. I prefer a pan with a little deeper sides to prevent food from flying all over the place (I’m a messy cook).
Chop the vegetables to the same size for more even cooking.
Slice the celery in half lengthwise and then dice.
Speed up time by using a food processor to shred the carrots or you can use a grater.
Making Pineapple Stuffing Ahead of Time
If you’re looking for different Thanksgiving side dishes (or for whatever holiday you’re serving this for) but don’t have a lot of time for prep the day of you can make the mix over the stove a day before.
That being said, I wouldn’t mix it together until you’re ready to cook as you don’t want the bread to get soggy.
You can cook everything the day before as well, just let it cool, cover it with wrap store in the fridge the day before, and heat before serving.
Storing and Reheating
To store leftovers in the refrigerator, transfer the stuffing to an airtight container or cover the casserole dish tightly with foil.
Pop it in the fridge, and it’ll stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Place the cooled stuffing in a freezer-safe airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil.
Your pineapple stuffing will be good for up to three months when properly stored in the freezer.
To reheat your pineapple stuffing, you’ve got a few options.
If it’s refrigerated, take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes ahead of time to let it come to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 325F.
Transfer the stuffing to an oven-safe dish if it’s not already in one.
Cover the dish with foil, and heat the pineapple stuffing for about 15 to 20 minutes until it’s warmed through.
Check on it occasionally to ensure it doesn’t dry out. If it looks dry, add a little chicken broth.
To reheat from frozen, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Heat using the steps above.
Pineapple Stuffing Using Stove Top
If you’re super short on time, try this hack:
- Take 2 boxes of stovetop stuffing, and 1 can of crushed pineapple.
- Replace the liquid in the stove top instructions with the pineapple juice. Top off the remainder with water or chicken broth.
- Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes.
What to Serve Pineapple Stuffing With
This easy side dish is perfect for holidays like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas when you have family and friends gathered around the table. Your guests will love the unique combination of sweet and savory flavors.
Pair this sweet and savory baked pineapple stuffing recipe with some classic holiday main dishes like:
- Roasted turkey, a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner staple. Turkey gravy is delicious over this recipe.
- Glazed ham, perfect for Christmas or Easter.
- Roast chicken, it’s similar to turkey and the flavors go together so well.
- Pork tenderloin, another great option for a simple main dish.
No matter your main dish choice, this sweet and savory pineapple dressing will enhance your holiday meal experience. Give it a try and watch it become an annual tradition to all your family holiday gatherings.
More Holiday Side Dish Ideas
- Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Cranberries
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan and Balsamic
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking oil.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, diced celery, and shredded carrots and saute for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are softer and onion is translucent.
- While the veggies are cooking, in a large mixing bowl add the cubed sourdough bread and 4 eggs. Mix together until the eggs are broken up and evenly coat the bread.
- Add the sage and fresh rosemary, stir it around for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Turn the burner to low.
- Add the brown sugar and crushed pineapples with juice. Mix together and let it heat the liquid for 3-4 minutes. It won't come to a boil but you will see some steam behind to rise. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the pineapple mixture to the breadcrumbs and mix until evenly coated. Transfer to your casserole dish. Top with pineapple rings and sprinkle over brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Bake for 1 hour. Check the stuffing at the 30 minute mark and if you want to keep it soft, cover it with foil. If you prefer a little crunch to your stuffing, cook uncovered. Check again at the 45 minute mark and reasses to your preferences.