Prepare yourself for a truly irresistible dish with this Slow Cooker Millionaire Chicken. Indulge in the rich and creamy flavors of juicy and tender chicken, perfectly paired with potatoes and smothered in a flavorful sauce, topped off with a buttery Ritz cracker crust that adds the perfect crunch.
Slow cooker millionaire chicken is a delicious, easy, and satisfying meal that makes you feel like you’ve struck gold. With its creamy, rich flavors, this dish is perfect for busy weeknights and relaxed dinner parties. Preparing the meal with a slow cooker adds convenience and ensures that the chicken stays tender and succulent throughout the cooking process.
The slow cooker takes care of the heavy lifting, allowing the flavors to meld and create a luxurious sauce that will leave your taste buds dancing with each bite. This recipe’s versatility means you can easily customize it to suit your preferences or dietary needs.
Why You’ll Love Slow Cooker Millionaire Chicken
- Ease of preparation: All you need to do is combine the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it work its magic. No need to hover over a stove or complicated cooking techniques. This frees up your time to attend to other tasks or simply relax and enjoy your day.
- Budget-friendly: Chicken is often a more affordable protein option. With just a few other common kitchen ingredients, this recipe won’t break the bank. Plus, it’s easy to find deals on chicken at your local grocery store, especially if you’re open to using different cuts.
- Versatility: This dish pairs well with a variety of sides, such as rice, pasta, or vegetables. This way, you can switch sides based on your preferences and dietary needs without learning a new main course recipe.
- Flavorful and satisfying: The combination of ingredients in the Slow Cooker Millionaire Chicken creates a rich and flavorful dish. The slow cooking process allows the chicken to become tender and infused with all the delicious flavors so that every bite will be satisfying and fulfilling. Perfect for the whole family to enjoy!
- Meal prep friendly: This recipe is an excellent choice for meal prep, as it can easily be made in larger batches and divided into separate containers for a few days’ worth of meals. It reheats well, ensuring warm and tasty lunches or dinners throughout the week.
- Adaptable: Feel free to add your personal touch to this recipe by incorporating your favorite herbs, spices, or vegetables. This allows you to customize the dish to your own tastes, adding excitement and variety to your mealtime routine.
- Chicken breasts: This will be the star of the dish, providing a hearty and protein-rich base. The chicken will tenderize and become juicy as it cooks in the slow cooker, absorbing the flavorful juices from the other ingredients.
- Baby potatoes: These will become tender and flavorful as they cook with the chicken, adding a comforting and satisfying taste to the dish.
- Cottage cheese: This ingredient will add a creamy texture that balances out the rich flavors in the dish while contributing additional protein.
- Sour cream: Enhancing the creamy consistency of the dish, the sour cream also adds a slight tanginess that complements the other flavors.
- Cream of chicken soup: This ingredient combines everything, creating a rich and velvety sauce that coats the chicken and potatoes.
- Garlic salt: A subtle but essential addition, garlic salt adds a hint of savory flavor.
- Onion powder: Onion powder brings a warm, aromatic depth to the dish without overpowering the other ingredients.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: The sharp cheddar cheese adds a tangy and flavorful element that elevates the dish. Mix some with the other ingredients and save some for a final melted topping.
- Green onions: These will provide a mild, fresh onion flavor and a pop of vibrant color to contrast the rich, creamy dish.
- Ritz crackers: The crushed crackers will add a buttery, crunchy layer on top of the millionaire chicken, making for a delightful textural contrast.
- Unsalted butter: The melted butter binds the crushed Ritz crackers, creating the perfect crumb topping that crisps up beautifully in the slow cooker.
How to Make Slow Cooker Millionaire Chicken
- Step One: Add the chicken and potatoes to your slow cooker.
- Step Two: In a mixing bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic salt, and onion powder. Once the mixture is well combined, add it to the slow cooker and stir to combine everything evenly.
- Step Three: Cover your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours until the potatoes are fork-tender and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Step Four: Stir 1 cup of cheddar cheese and half of the green onions.
- Step Five: In a separate mixing bowl, combine the Ritz crackers, butter, remaining cheddar, and green onions. Sprinkle this mixture on the chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Step Six: Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve your slow cooker millionaire chicken hot, and enjoy this comforting dish’s delectable flavors and textures.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
- Slow Cooker: A slow cooker is the primary equipment for this recipe. Look for one with an adjustable temperature setting and a removable crock, so you can easily transfer your cooked chicken onto a platter.
- Kitchen Tongs: These handy tools will help you handle the chicken when placing it in the slow cooker and taking it out once cooked. Opt for tongs with a firm grip and long handles to avoid accidental burns.
- Meat Thermometer: Monitoring the internal temperature of your chicken is crucial to ensuring it’s perfectly cooked. A meat thermometer with a digital readout will make this task much easier.
What to Serve with Millionaire Chicken
- Green vegetables: To add color and freshness to the plate, try serving steamed or roasted green beans, asparagus, or broccoli. These veggies are a great way to balance out the richness of the Millionaire Chicken.
- Salad: A light, crisp salad is another excellent side dish option. Go for a simple green salad with your favorite dressing.
- Grains: Give your meal some substance by adding a hearty grain like brown or white rice, quinoa, or couscous. To keep the flavors consistent, you can season the grain with similar herbs and spices in the chicken dish.
- Egg Noodles: Serve on a bed of egg noodles for a delicious meal.
Variations and Substitutions
- Try another chicken cut: Instead of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you could use chicken thighs or drumsticks.
- Add veggies: Add extra nutrition and flavor by adding your favorite vegetables. Think sliced mushrooms, diced red bell pepper, or asparagus.
- Change the soup: Use cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup instead. Any cream of soup can be substituted.
- Use another kind of cheese: Try Colby Jack cheese or mozzarella cheese.
- Include some fresh herbs: Ad some sprigs of thyme or rosemary to the mix.
- Give it some heat: Season with hot sauce, chili powder, or chipotle powder.
Storage and Reheating Tips
To store, allow the chicken to cool down to room temperature before placing it in an airtight container. Keep the chicken in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
When it’s time to reheat your slow cooker millionaire chicken, you have a few options. The first option is to use the slow cooker itself. Place the chicken in the slow cooker on the low setting and allow it to heat up slowly, usually between 170 and 280 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to stir occasionally to ensure even reheating.
Another option for reheating your millionaire chicken is using the oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, place the chicken in an oven-safe baking dish, and add about 1 cup of chicken broth to the bottom to help retain moisture. Cover the dish with foil and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Lastly, you can reheat your chicken in a microwave. Place it in a microwave-safe container and use a microwave-safe cover to avoid splatter. Heat your chicken in 1-2-minute intervals, checking and stirring the chicken to ensure even reheating.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze your slow cooker millionaire chicken! Freezing cooked chicken is not only convenient but also helps in saving time and reducing food waste. When you have leftovers that are frozen properly, you can enjoy them later without compromising their delicious taste and texture.
To freeze your slow cooker millionaire chicken, follow these simple steps:
- Allow the chicken to cool completely at room temperature. Don’t let it sit out too long, though, as it can cause bacteria growth.
- Pack the chicken in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. If using freezer bags, remove as much air as possible before sealing to prevent freezer burn.
- If needed, you can also wrap the containers or bags with aluminum foil for extra protection.
- Label the containers or bags with the date and contents. This will help you remember what’s inside and avoid confusion later on.
When properly stored, your slow cooker millionaire chicken can last up to four months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw the chicken overnight in the refrigerator, and then reheat in a suitable dish at 350ºF for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t overfill your slow cooker! Aim for it to be about halfway to two-thirds full to ensure even cooking. Plus, this leaves room for sauce and other ingredients.
- Before serving, give your dish a taste test to adjust the seasoning as needed. Sometimes flavors may get diluted or lost in the slow cooking process.
- Avoid opening the slow cooker lid frequently during cooking. Heat escape can lead to longer cooking times, and you don’t want to wait even longer for your delicious meal.
Origin of Millionaire Chicken
Millionaire Chicken, also known as “Golden Chicken,” has an interesting history and origin to its name. This slow cooker dish has become a favorite among food enthusiasts for its rich flavors and simple preparation.
The name “Millionaire Chicken” might make you think that this dish is associated with wealth or opulence, and there’s a bit of truth in that. The recipe often calls for ingredients such as wine, cream, and butter, which adds to the luxurious taste of the dish. These ingredients might have reminded people of the lavish lifestyles of millionaires, hence the name.
The slow cooker version of Millionaire Chicken has become popular for its convenience, as it allows you to combine all the ingredients in your slow cooker and let the appliance do the work for you. The dish typically consists of chicken breasts and a rich and creamy sauce, often including mushroom soup, cream cheese, and wine for an upscale touch.
It’s unclear where this dish originated, but it seems most popular in American home cooking and slow cooker recipe collections. It might have taken inspiration from multiple classic chicken dishes, such as Chicken à la King or Chicken Cordon Bleu, with adaptations to cater to the tastes of the modern food lover.
Slow Cooker Millionaire Chicken
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.75oz can
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 6 green onions sliced, divided
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Add the chicken and potatoes to a slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic salt and onion powder. Add to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours until potatoes are fork tender and chicken is cooked.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and half of the green onions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Ritz crackers, butter, remaining cheddar and green onions. Sprinkle on top of the chicken and potatoes in the Crockpot.
- Cover and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.