Beef Noodle Casserole is a classic comfort food family friendly dinner made with everyday ingredients like ground beef, noodles, tomatoes and loads of cheese. An easy and delicious meal ready in 30 minutes.
This is my go-to recipe when I have no idea what to make for dinner. Grab a casserole dish, a few simple ingredients and whip together a meal the whole family will love. Hamburger noodle casserole is a must-make if you like easy dinner recipes like I do. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and even picky eaters enjoy it.
I’ve got this on my meal plan a couple times each month. It reminds me a bit of my grandma and her style of cooking. She loved ground beef (her life partner, Clarence was a beef farmer) and a hearty ground beef casserole is definitely one she would have loved.
I love that it’s a complete meal and you don’t have to make any side dishes unless you want to. I’m always full after having hamburger casserole for dinner. If there are any leftovers, I’ll save them for lunch the next day. Yum!
Why You’ll Love Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole
- Easy recipe for busy nights
- Great casserole to make when you are craving comfort food
- Made with pantry staples
- Ready to eat in 30 minutes
- Better than boxed mix casseroles
- Perfect for families
- Wide egg noodles
- Lean ground beef
- White onion
- Taco seasoning – Use store-bought or make your own taco seasoning.
- Garlic powder
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Colby Jack cheddar cheese
How to Make Beef Noodle Casserole
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Step Two: Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, for the shortest time recommended on the package. Place the cooked noodles in the baking pan.
- Step Three: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion over medium-high heat. Cook beef is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.
- Step Four: Stir in the taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt and water to the meat mixture. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Step Five: Add in the diced tomatoes, Rotel, and tomato sauce. Place beef mixture in the baking pan with the noodles and mix well.
- Step Six: Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly on top.
- Step Seven: Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the cheese melted. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
What to Serve with Easy Beef Noodle Casserole
- Tossed green salad
- Roasted or steamed veggies
- Garlic bread
- Dinner rolls
Variations and Substitutions
- To make a creamy sauce version, substitute cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, ricotta cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese and/or cream cheese for the tomatoes in the recipe.
- A can of diced tomatoes can be used instead of the can of ROTEL.
- Substitute 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce for the taco seasoning. You could also add Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Try green onions or a yellow onion in place of the white onion. You could also leave out the onion and use 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Add more veggies to the mix like green pepper, green beans or red pepper. Add some sliced black olives for extra flavor.
- Use tomato soup instead of tomato sauce.
- Swap out the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.
- Try mozzarella cheese or sharp cheddar cheese instead of Colby Jack. You can also sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top.
- Garnish with fresh parsley for a pop of color.
Store leftover hamburger casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Sprinkle a little water evenly on top and reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on high when ready to eat again.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, this is a good casserole to freeze! You can either freeze the whole thing or freeze individual portions. Place in a freezer safe container or you can wrap the casserole in plastic wrap and again in aluminum foil. Store in the freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the oven or microwave the next day.
Can I Make Ahead?
Yes, you can prep everything up to a day in advance and store, covered, in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. You may need to add on a few extra minutes of baking time since the casserole is going into the oven cold.
- Don’t use the bags of pre-shredded cheese. They have extra additives that don’t allow the cheese to melt as nicely as freshly shredded cheese.
- Cook the egg noodles until they are al dente. They’ll continue to cook in the oven.
- Don’t skip draining the grease from the skillet of ground beef. It will add too much liquid and make the casserole extra greasy.
- Make an extra casserole to freeze.
FAQs about beef noodle casserole
Ground Beef Recipes
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST &
Get Your Free Weeknight Dinner Recipes eBook
Beef Noodle Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, for the shortest time recommended on the package. Place the cooked noodles in the baking pan.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion over medium-high heat. Cook until the beef is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt and water. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, Rotel, and tomato sauce. Place beef mixture in the baking pan with the noodles and mix well.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly on top.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the cheese melted. Serve hot.