You won’t believe the dinner magic you can whip up in 30 minutes with this oven-baked Honey Buffalo Chicken – a sweet, spicy, and caramelized delight that’ll have the whole family asking for seconds. Add a side of vibrant broccoli and peppers, and you have a wholesome, flavorful feast that turns an ordinary evening into something special.
Honey buffalo chicken is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various forms, from sheet pan dinners to grilled chicken thighs. With its perfect blend of sweet and spicy flavors, honey buffalo chicken will satisfy your taste buds and become a favorite in your recipe rotation.
The key to a mouthwatering honey buffalo chicken dish is a combination of tender, perfectly cooked chicken and a well-balanced sauce that combines the hot sauce with the sweetness of honey.
Why You’ll Love Honey Buffalo Chicken
- Easy to prepare: Making honey buffalo chicken doesn’t require much effort or cooking time. It’s made with simple ingredients.
- Versatile: This dish can be adapted to suit your preference, whether you enjoy it as a main course or on tender sliders. This versatility means that you can enjoy honey buffalo chicken anytime, anywhere!
- Crowd-pleaser: Honey Buffalo Chicken is a dish that both kids and adults will love. The sweet and spicy combination makes it an exciting and flavorful option for family dinners or gatherings with friends. It’s perfect for game nights, potlucks, or any occasion where an easy yet tasty dish is needed.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: This will be your main protein and give the dish that tender, juicy texture.
- Sea salt: Adds flavor to the chicken, highlighting and enhancing its natural taste.
- Black pepper: This mild spice compliments the chicken and balances with the saltiness.
- All-purpose flour: lightly coats the chicken, allowing it to crispen in the oven.
- Extra virgin olive oil: This healthy oil will be mixed with butter, helping the skin of the chicken to crisp up perfectly.
- Broccoli florets: Adds color and a delightful crunch to the dish while providing some vitamins and minerals.
- Red bell pepper: Brings in more colors and a slightly sweet taste which contrasts nicely with the spicy buffalo sauce.
- Honey: This natural sweetener emphasizes the slight sweetness of the red bell peppers and tames the spiciness of the hot sauce.
- Hot sauce: The star of the show. It is the foundation of the buffalo sauce, providing heat and a tangy kick.
How to Make Honey Buffalo Chicken
- Step One: Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Step Two: Grab a sheet pan and add chicken chunks. Season your chicken with ½ teaspoon of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil on the chicken and toss it to ensure it’s evenly coated in seasoning.
- Step Three: Arrange the chicken on one side of the baking sheet. On the other side, add your broccoli and bell pepper. Season them with the remaining salt, pepper, and olive oil. Place the sheet pan in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Step Four: While your chicken and vegetables are baking, prepare the honey buffalo sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and hot sauce.
- Step Five: Once the 15 minutes are up, carefully remove the vegetables from the sheet pan and set them aside. Drizzle the prepared honey buffalo sauce on the chicken chunks, ensuring each piece is coated. Toss the chicken and continue baking for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step Six: Remove the sheet pan from the oven when the chicken is fully cooked and coated in that delicious honey buffalo sauce. Stir the chicken with broccoli and bell pepper, ensuring everything is well combined. If you’d like, garnish with green onions for a pop of color and flavor.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
What to Serve with Honey Buffalo Chicken
- Chipotle Coleslaw
- Onion Rings
- French Fries
- Cheese Quesadillas
- Honey Butter Corn
- Side Salad
How to Serve
Enjoy it with your favorite sides, or serve it on a slider or warm tortilla for something different.
Variations and Substitutions
- Spice Level: If you’d like to dial up the heat, consider using a hotter buffalo sauce or adding some cayenne pepper. Conversely, if you prefer something milder, swap the buffalo sauce for a barbecue or sweet chili sauce.
- Protein: While chicken is a common choice for this dish, you can easily substitute other proteins like turkey, tofu, or fish like salmon for a different take.
- Veggies: Don’t forget your greens! Feel free to add different vegetables like zucchini or cauliflower to your dish.
Storage and Leftovers
After enjoying your honey buffalo chicken, allow it to cool down for 15-20 minutes at room temperature. Then, transfer the chicken to an airtight container. Ensure the container is sealed properly to avoid leaks or odor transfer. Refrigerate the leftovers within two hours of cooking; they should stay fresh for 3-4 days.
If you want to store the honey buffalo chicken for longer, you can also freeze it. Once cooled, wrap the chicken pieces in plastic or aluminum foil. Place the wrapped chicken in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic freezer bag. Don’t forget to label the bag with the date so you know how long it’s been stored. Your frozen chicken can last for up to 3 months. To preserve the quality of the chicken, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Reheating your honey buffalo chicken can be done in a few different ways:
- Microwave: Place the chicken pieces on a microwave-safe plate, cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap, and microwave on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, checking halfway to ensure even heating.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the chicken pieces on a foil-lined baking sheet and heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
- Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Place the chicken pieces in the air fryer basket, ensure they don’t touch, and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Chicken Dinner Recipes
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST &
Get Your Free Weeknight Dinner Recipes eBook
Honey Buffalo Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Add the chicken chunks to a sheet pan. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Add the flour and stir together. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on the chicken and toss.
- Arrange the chicken on one side of the baking sheet. Add the broccoli and bell pepper on the other side. Season with the rest of the salt, pepper and oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk honey and hot sauce together.
- After 15 minutes, remove the vegetables from the sheet and leave the chicken. Drizzle the sauce on the chicken chunks, toss and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven. Stir the chicken, broccoli and bell pepper together. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Serve with rice.