Slow Cooker Queso Chicken is a family favorite. With only four simple ingredients, you can create this easy and delicious dinner. All you need is chicken breasts, tomatoes with green chiles, taco seasoning, and queso dip. Combine these ingredients in a slow cooker to achieve a mouthwatering, shredded chicken that is perfect for burrito bowls, tacos, nachos, quesadillas, and so much more.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken
Crockpot Queso Chicken Ingredients
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
There isn’t much to change about this recipe but here are a few tips.
Substitution for boneless, skinless chicken breasts
You can substitute chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a more budget-friendly recipe.
Substitution for Rotel
If you don’t have Rotel on hand, you can use a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of green chiles.
Make it Spicy
Kick it up a notch by adding diced jalapenos to the slow cooker. Adjust to your comfort level of heat.
What to Serve with Queso Chicken
If you’re looking for serving ideas for side dishes for this slow cooker queso chicken recipe, here are some suggestions.
Queso Chicken Serving Ideas:
- On its own. Serve the chicken on its own with a side dish from below.
- Queso Chicken Tacos. Spoon the queso chicken into tortillas and top with your favorite toppings (tomatoes, cilantro, pickled red onions, etc).
- Burritos. Wrap the chicken with rice, beans, and grilled veggies into a queso chicken burrito.
- Burrito Bowls. Take the above ingredients and serve them over a bed of greens.
- Salad. Whip up a salad and use the shredded chicken as a flavorful protein topping.
- Quesadillas. Spoon the chicken over flour tortillas, top with your favorite toppings and a little extra cheese, and grill until melted on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Nachos. Top nachos over with the CrockPot queso chicken along with black beans, grilled bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, and a little smoked paprika.
Side Dish Ideas
- Mexican Rice: Serve the flavorful chicken alongside a bed of fluffy Mexican rice. Or you can use plain rice as well.
- Black Beans and Corn Salad: Whip up a refreshing salad with black beans, sweet corn, diced bell peppers, red onions, and a zesty lime dressing.
- Guacamole and Tortilla Chips: Prepare a creamy guacamole dip using ripe avocados, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, and spices.
- Grilled Vegetables: Fire up the grill and cook a medley of colorful vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and onions. The smoky flavors and charred edges perfectly complement the queso chicken.
- Mexican Street Corn (Elote): Grill or roast fresh corn on the cob, slather it with a mixture of mayonnaise, cotija cheese, chili powder, and lime juice, then sprinkle with cilantro. This tangy and savory side dish adds a burst of flavor to your meal.
- Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw: Toss together shredded cabbage, carrots, cilantro, lime juice, and a touch of honey for a refreshing and crunchy coleslaw that balances the richness of the chicken.
- Fresh Salad: You can’t get wrong with a simple salad. Add your favorite veggies and dressing to a bowl or grab a bagged salad from the grocery store.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure you store them in an airtight container. You can also store it in a bowl with a lid or make sure it’s wrapped.
Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave, stirring to even out the heat.
Freezer Meal Tip
You can cook this meal and freeze it.
Make sure to let it cool before freezing it.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How to Make Queso Chicken in the Slow Cooker
Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of a slow cooker.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and queso cheese dip together.
Pour the queso mixture over the chicken, put on the lid, and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
Remove the cooked chicken and shred it. You can do this with two forks, meat shredders, or use a hand mixer.
Ladel out the liquid from the slow cooker (about 3/4 of it). Add the shredded chicken back in and more queso. Stir it all together
Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
If you look a good slow cooker recipe, here are a few of our favorites:
- CrockPot BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya Pasta
- Slow Cooker Taco Spaghetti
- See all our easy slow cooker recipes.
Looking for a slow cooker recipe for a potluck? Try these 56 Easy CrockPot Potluck Recipes.
Get 5 Days of Easy Dinners sent to your inbox
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken
- Put the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, and 1 jar of queso cheese dip.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Take out the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it. You can use two forks, claws, or a hand mixer.
- Remove 3/4 of the liquid from the slow cooker. Add the shredded chicken and half of the remaining jar of queso dip back to the slow cooker.
- Stir everything together to combine.
- Serve the chicken with additional queso dip on top, if desired.
- Make it spicy with jalapenos.
- Sliced onions and peppers for a little sweetness.
- Smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.